Poiman64

War of the Worlds (Themed Assists tournament)

So this is a tournament I'm planning on for the summer. I'm posting this here rather than on Discord so that it'll be easier to see feedback. I'm posting this now, of course, to receive that feedback and to explain my reasoning to the best of my ability. Just a fun little idea I had, plus it gives us a chance to experiment with a stage banning system that I've mused about for a while.

The rules are as follows:

Characters can only use assists from the same Final Fantasy

Exceptions: Aerith is banned; Lightning can use WoL and Garland and vice versa.

Double Elim, Bo3, Semis and Finals Bo5, GF Bo7 with bracket reset, Begins with RR for players with lack of data. Seeded based on results and opinion.

Long Form with two week deadlines

Stage list:
Neutral picks: Order's Sanctuary, World of Darkness, Pandemonium - Top Floor, Lunar Subterrane, Sky Fortress Bahamut
Counter picks:
Pandemonium, Kefka's Tower, Empyreal Paradox, Old Chaos Shrine, Crystal World, Crystal Tower, M.S. Prima Vista, Edge of Madness

Match 1: Lower Seed (Or Loser's Finals winner in GF) strikes 1 stage, other player strikes 2, then the lower seed picks the stage to play on.
Match 2+: Winner strikes 2 stages and Loser picks (In case of a bracket reset use this format for picking instead of reverting to M1 picking)
Dave's Stuped Rule is in effect (You cannot pick a stage you have already won on)

Character picks will be Double Blind

Looks interesting, here are my thoughts;

I have mixed feelings about Pandemonium and Kefka's Tower as counter pick stages

Also Crystal Tower, but lesser so

And, Characters that need help of some kind;

Vaan, Laguna, WoL (kinda), Emp (kinda), Terra, Shanty, Gab (kinda), Prishe (kinda)

Characters that are probably a bit too strong;

Cloud, Zidane (kinda), Kuja (kinda), Tidus, Jecht, Yuna

that's my thoughts

Edited by Eddiegames
  • Upvote 1

Bit of a late reply, Eddie, but what would you suggest to help those that need it and balance those that don't? Also, what's wrong with Kefka's and Pandemonium? I added them to balance out the large stages and small stages, since I have a stage banning system in place with DSR and they help certain lower tier characters deal with higher tiers.

Well on the topic of stages, the reason I find them questionable is the the stages have qualities that very strongly affect certain characters and their effectiveness to an extreme degree, especially Kefka's Tower. And I disagree with the idea that they help out low tiers, they help a variety of characters as well as hurting a variety as well, but some of the characters near the top like Seph and Ulti can take strong advantage of these, to an effect greater than some of the others.

With Crystal Tower it's a similar thing, Kefka, Ulti, and a couple others can take strong advantage of the stage being easy to run away on. It's also a slight EX counter, but that's less of an issue. I'm fine with the stage just concerned.

Also for character nerf method, one method is a madatory equip of Close to You (Always absorb EX, -30% Assist Charge)/Glimmering Crystal (+15% EX Core Absorb, -15% Assist Charge)/Attractorb (+1m EX Range, -20% Assist Charge, Basic)/Pearl Necklace (+10% EX Force Absorb, -20% Assist Charge, Basic) (Leaning towards the first 2)

As for character buff, it's a bit more tricky, the easy method is just to allow Terra, Shanty, Vaan and Laguna (Potentially More) to equip any assist of their choosing (potentially disallowing use of the top tier ones). However it doesnt exactly fit in with the tournament theme so I dunno.

Kefka's and Pandemonium are kind of a necessary evil due to the fact that they're two of the very few legal small stages and I wanted to have a good balance between large and small, but I do feel that 2 strikes and DSR will counteract the effects of them.

As for the suggested buffs, you are correct in that they break theme, though perhaps your suggested nerfs might be fine, I'll have to test them a bit more in depth. Thanks for the suggestion.

Also without extensive labbing the optimal assist choices (imo) for those with 2 options are as follows;

Light/WoL, WoL/Light, Garland/WoL
Cecil/Kain, Kain/Golbez, Golbez/Cecil
Bartz/Gilgamesh, Exdeath/Bartz (or Gilga, it's stage dependant) or CotW, Gilgamesh/Bartz
Cloud/Seph, Tifa/Seph, Seph/Cloud
Squall/Ulti, Laguna/Cry I guess, Ulti/CotW
Tidus/Jecht, Yuna/Tidus, Jecht/Tidus

Edited by Eddiegames

CoD assist is fine, you just lose the ability to assist punish in most cases

For combos she's perfectly functional, and in fact one of the easier characters to knockback cancel with

And since she punishes dodge, in smaller spaces she pairs well with Comet

Small addition after further testing, I've confirmed Cecil is in fact, way easier for Kain, and the assist I would recommend for consistency, although he is weaker in damage and cant combo off ground slams from the SbS boost.

Still tho, Golb can do some cool stuff.

Edited by Eddiegames