SquallSaysWhatever

New to Dissidia modding, can anyone help me out?

Hi all, I'm new here. I made an account in hopes of someone being able to help me with modding Dissidia. I know that there were quite a few people modding Duodecim back in the day, but I only now started becoming interested in doing it myself. To clarify, I'm looking to add existing mods to my game, not to create my own mods.

First off, I don't know the first thing about modding games, so I'd like if someone could walk me through the process, step by step, using simple terms (I am not remotely tech-savvy in the slightest). I downloaded the DLC Toolkit and the Dissidia Suite tools, but I don't really know what I'm supposed to do with them.

I'd also like to know how I can find some specific kinds of mods. Most mods seem to be adding new characters to the game/replacing existing characters, but I'm not really interested in turning the game into "Dissidia Smash Bros". I mainly just want to put in new costumes and new music (and maybe make it possible to change computer opponents' costumes).

Does anybody know if mods that put these costumes in the game exist? These are the main ones I really want. If possible, I'd like to replace the characters' normal outfits with them so that these costumes show up in the story and when I fight computer opponents. (I'm also interested in knowing if it's possible to make existing costumes in the game the "normal" outfit for a character.)

* Firion - FF2 PS1/GBA outfit

* Onion Knight - Freelancer Luneth outfit (with FF3DS ninja and sage for EX Mode, perhaps)

* Cecil - His DLC outfit with the hair from his Alt 2 outfit as a paladin

* Terra - FF6 outfit (her Alt 1 outfit only gives her green hair, I want her actual outfit from FF6)

* Squall - FF8 outfit (he had a different shirt, a bulkier jacket, no fur on his pants, and different belts in FF8)

* Kain - FF4 outfit

* Kefka - FF6 outfit

Lastly, is it possible to play modded Duodecim on a real PSP? I don't like playing games on emulators, and my PC is super old and can barely play games anyway.

I would greatly appreciate it if anybody can help me out with this!

8 hours ago, SquallSaysWhatever said:

First off, I don't know the first thing about modding games, so I'd like if someone could walk me through the process, step by step, using simple terms (I am not remotely tech-savvy in the slightest). I downloaded the DLC Toolkit and the Dissidia Suite tools, but I don't really know what I'm supposed to do with them.

First off, you need some basic knowledge in 3D model rigging. I, myself, can't teach you as I completely suck at teaching. What I do know is that the Dissidia Modding Suite, and DLC Toolkit is not all that you need. You also need PNG2GIM, and GMOTool.

Does anybody know if mods that put these costumes in the game exist? These are the main ones I really want. If possible, I'd like to replace the characters' normal outfits with them so that these costumes show up in the story and when I fight computer opponents. (I'm also interested in knowing if it's possible to make existing costumes in the game the "normal" outfit for a character.)

* Firion - FF2 PS1/GBA outfit

* Onion Knight - Freelancer Luneth outfit (with FF3DS ninja and sage for EX Mode, perhaps)

* Cecil - His DLC outfit with the hair from his Alt 2 outfit as a paladin

* Terra - FF6 outfit (her Alt 1 outfit only gives her green hair, I want her actual outfit from FF6)

* Squall - FF8 outfit (he had a different shirt, a bulkier jacket, no fur on his pants, and different belts in FF8)

* Kain - FF4 outfit

* Kefka - FF6 outfit

Of the mods you mentioned, only Terra and Squall were made.

As for replacing normal outfits, I think it's possible, I never tried it out myself however.

Lastly, is it possible to play modded Duodecim on a real PSP? I don't like playing games on emulators, and my PC is super old and can barely play games anyway.

Yes it is, you need a PSP with custom firmware. I switched over to emulator a year or 2 ago, because the recording quality from Dissidia's internal AVI converter is bad due to the resolution of the PSP.

9 hours ago, Chris Shade said:

First off, you need some basic knowledge in 3D model rigging. I, myself, can't teach you as I completely suck at teaching. What I do know is that the Dissidia Modding Suite, and DLC Toolkit is not all that you need. You also need PNG2GIM, and GMOTool.

Of the mods you mentioned, only Terra and Squall were made.

As for replacing normal outfits, I think it's possible, I never tried it out myself however.

Yes it is, you need a PSP with custom firmware. I switched over to emulator a year or 2 ago, because the recording quality from Dissidia's internal AVI converter is bad due to the resolution of the PSP.

I need to know about 3D modeling just to put already-made mods into the game?

Those mods you linked to look nice, thank you! (Why does Terra's Trance form look so red though? Is it possible to use her "normal" outfit's EX Mode model with this mod?)

If possible, could you direct me to some other mods that are just costumes for the FF characters in the game? All I can seem to find on my own are Kingdom Hearts characters and a bunch of random anime characters.

Edited by SquallSaysWhatever

5 hours ago, SquallSaysWhatever said:

I need to know about 3D modeling just to put already-made mods into the game?

Oh, I thought you meant trying to make your own mods.

Why does Terra's Trance form look so red though? Is it possible to use her "normal" outfit's EX Mode model with this mod?

It's possible, but you'd need to ask the maker for permission to alter his mod.

If possible, could you direct me to some other mods that are just costumes for the FF characters in the game? All I can seem to find on my own are Kingdom Hearts characters and a bunch of random anime characters.

I only know of 2 people who did that, agl89, and Deraj8

I linked their names to their topics, although Deraj8 hasn't really updated his topic with all his mods from the original Dissidiaforums. So you're better off checking his YouTube channel.

I did technically make one myself.

I also made one where Dancer Bartz uses the EX weapons of his allies rather than their normal weapons. Don't remember anything else.

Thanks! Aside from the mods you showed me earlier, Squall's SeeD cadet uniform looks nice. I always wanted that costume in Dissidia. I always liked it more than Squall's unform as a full-fledged SeeD that he wears for all of one cutscene in FF8.

Hmm, is that all there is? I was hoping there'd be more. Really had my fingers crossed for Kuja with pants.

Weapon-changing mods sound neat. What ones of those are there? I'd love if there were one that lets Cecil use a sword outside of EX Mode, or one for Yuna that gives her her ultimate weapon when she enters EX Mode (it always bugged me that she was the only character that doesn't get some sort of visual change in EX Mode).

How about mods that insert other FF characters into the game? I might be interested in giving them a look if they look good. Like I said before, all I can find searching on my own are Kingdom Hearts characters and anime characters.

EDIT, 5/7, 10:31 AM: I think I figured out how to replace costumes using the DLC Toolkit. I was able to replace Squall's normal outfit with the "Classic Squall" mod (with the Twin Lance). Unfortunately, the costume still isn't visible in story mode cutscenes. I guess the battle models and the cutscene models aren't the same. Nonetheless, I can still play with that costume in story mode and fight against it as a computer-controlled enemy. Progress!

Do you happen to know what the files for the "Classic Cecil" official DLC are? I was only able to figure out which was which for the "Classic Squall" mod because of the Readme file that came with it.

Edited by SquallSaysWhatever

On 5/7/2019 at 9:02 AM, SquallSaysWhatever said:

Do you happen to know what the files for the "Classic Cecil" official DLC are? I was only able to figure out which was which for the "Classic Squall" mod because of the Readme file that came with it.

Download Noesis and rename all of the .edats inside the official dlc folder to .gmo

Use Noesis to view all of the .gmos inside the folder and search for the dlc model you were looking for

I think I got the spreadsheet thingy to work, finally. Don't know what the problem was. Does all of the official DLC have the same numbers no matter what, no matter what order you downloaded them in, or if you have all of the DLC or not?

Aaaaand now I can't figure out how to make my own music DLC, something that I thought would be easy because there's an AT3 converter tool, but I can't figure out how to use it.

I'm really at a loss here. I can't figure out how to use the tools, and things that seem like they should be easy constantly prove too complicated for me. I've asked for help, but I can count the replies I've gotten on one hand. I'm starting to lose hope.