Haussenkraft

Custom GMO tutorial

This has been long overdue but I feel it's better late than never

I'm just copy pasting what I told another member on how to mod,  So some stuff may not match

Things you need before starting
- Noesis
- Milkshape 3d (Preferably version 1.8.5)
- GMOTool
- PNG2GIM
- Notepad++
- The character GMOs

---------------------------------------------------------
Getting started

Use Noesis to export the base character .gmo into .smd
for example, if you're gonna use Lightning as a base, export her t-posed .gmo.

Import the base model and the custom model in Milkshape.

after importing the t-posed model, import the custom model you are gonna rig on. I'll be using Thanos and Exdeath as an example

dyOucD4.png

After that, go to tool > scale all (by %10000)

83fKuEj.png

oPzf73W.png

Then delete the original model so that the custom model will be left

QHHvIvy.png

Now, if you had any experience with rescaling, try to fit the model into the skeleton by rotating the vertices of his limbs and such
And then you may proceed to rig the model.

Rigging

I lost the file for Thanos so I'm gonna use Nero instead for the rest of the tutorial

Anyway, to rig, you just need to select the vertices of the bone you want to rig on
Like for example, select all the vertices of the head and then assign it to the head bone

4ubF4hN.png

oQzeAIq.png

After rigging, you need to resize it back to the original size,

ZO11hRO.png

You can test the model's rigging by importing the animations into it,
preferably .psa if you're using Milkshape

e8uNr3Q.png

It takes a long while to load

click the anim button at the bottom right to view the animation

Ulti81n.png

When you're satisfied with the result, export the model to .smd
the uvs will be flipped like this 

Gtpz1hq.png

Now export it again to .fbx while flip uvs is checked

eMmUQdx.png

MDS Editing

The final part of the tutorial is the .mds editing

First you need to convert the .fbx to .mds using fbxconv

IwtviWI.png

Then the base .gmo to .mds using gmoconv

OR4FAOE.png

Open both .mds in notepad++

hCxNIQZ.png

In your custom character's .mds, replace all of the "rootnode" with "root" and "png" with "gim"

WfsF8gU.png

Go to your base character's .mds and go to model-0

rCsiMuD.png

Below that, look for this bone (differs per character)

dTcM3qe.png

then delete the blendoffset, blendbones, and drawpart, leaving behind only the ParentBone and Translate

aofy2hS.png

Do the same with the "wepx" bones (i.e. wep0, wep1, etc.) and the bones in model _000A

Look for the trans_include bone inside model-0 and copy everything above it

MGRXxbT.png

Then paste it over the trans_include bone inside your custom character's .mds

CIM1wBg.png

8FJl28I.png

Now go to the material section of your custom .mds and remove this bit from every material

1plvZeE.png

dEQxbUW.png

Now dont forget to convert your png textures to gim using png2gim
you can only have 1 png at a time inside the folder or it wont convert properly

ukZ1fVV.png

Rename the new .gim to be the same as your png file

After moving the .gims inside your GMOtool folder, use gmotool - to gmo 

bL4dUcG.png

-s is a parameter to change the size of your model, (-s 0.8 means that the model size will be reduced by 80% and so on)

Now you can try checking the .gmo in Noesis to see if the animations are properly working

SOUhMA1.png

Please note your gmo size must not exceed 2.4mb

Edited by Haussenkraft
  • CoLove 12
  • Upvote 41

I was figuring this stuff on my own recently, and ended up porting a headless model with some messed up attack animations, so I decided to go here instead to seek guidance. But I didn't expect to see this...
And It definitely helped me fix those two issues! So thank you so much! It really made my day! But, the game tends to crash if I am playing against almost every character except Tifa or Lightning (Normal outift), and I don't know if it is because that I converted the model straight to .FBX from Milkshape 3D (That is what I did before knowing about this + copying the motion text from the base character to my custom character. I tried using your steps by converting the .SMD model in Noesis to .FBX, but FBXConv doesn't want to convert it, for some reasons) Or it is something else...

Screenshot_20190530-103659.png

Edited by Lightning Strikes

Just now, Lightning Strikes said:

But, the game tends to crash if I am playing against almost every character except Tifa or Lightning (Normal outift)

Try playing without an assist and on stages that isn't the FFXIII stage, it's most probably because of your character's poly count being higher than what the game can handle; in that case, you'll need to give her a lower polycount

Just now, Lightning Strikes said:

I don't know if it is because that I converted the model straight to .FBX from Milkshape 3D (That is what I did before knowing about this + copying the motion text from the base character to my custom character. I tried using your steps by converting the .SMD model in Noesis to .FBX, but FBXConv doesn't want to convert it, for some reasons) Or it is something else...

I only recommend exporting to smd first because of how terrible milkshape handles .fbx. Whenever milkshape import or export an fbx, it ruins the model's rigging by removing all vertex weighting. If you were using something else like 3ds max, you can just export it straight to fbx and have more options for your model like giving it vertex shading and stuff (though don't quote me on this as I have never used 3ds max in my life).

Also I may have forgotten to include what the wepx bones do. I'll edit the tutorial by giving more additional notes once I get the time.

Edited by Haussenkraft
  • CoLove 9
  • Upvote 12

2 minutes ago, Lightning Strikes said:

Try playing without an assist and on stages that isn't the FFXIII stage, it's most probably because of your character's poly count being higher than what the game can handle; in that case, you'll need to give her a lower polycount

That's gotta be the issue, when the model was headless, it rarely crashed the game. See, I tried to be smart by exporting her model from a mobile game assuming that it will have a lower polygon count, and while rigging the model, I was mostly sure there is no way the game will be able to handle it; I was surprised that it (sorta) worked. But I didn't know you can actually reduce the polygon count that easily, that surely facilitates things.

2 minutes ago, Lightning Strikes said:

I only recommend exporting to smd first because of how terrible milkshape handles .fbx. Whenever milkshape import or export an fbx, it ruins the model's rigging by removing all vertex weighting. If you were using something else like 3ds max, you can just export it straight to fbx and have more options for your model like giving it vertex shading and stuff (though don't quote me on this as I have never used 3ds max in my life).

Also I may have forgotten to include what the wepx bones do. I'll edit the tutorial by giving more additional notes once I get the time.

I see... I will try to avoid that bullet from now on.  And I was actually going to use 3ds Max, but seeing how more complicated it is, and how I failed rigging and skinning some models for another game before... I decided it would be best for me to use something simpler like Milkshape 3D. You will need a while to get used to 3ds max.

And the wepx bones have my curiosity, I am assuming they are connected to the meshes.

Anyway, hanks for the help and your time! I really appreciate it.

15 hours ago, Lightning Strikes said:

And the wepx bones have my curiosity, I am assuming they are connected to the meshes.

Anyway I just came back

wepx bones are pretty much just meshbones that the game manipulates to appear and disappear at certain times, you'll most likely use this on characters with several weapon meshes like Firion or Bartz

Let's say you want to replace Lightning's left weapon which is wep4.
P7XUzfZ.png

All you have to do is cut and paste your custom character's meshbone for their left weapon and replace the wep4 bone with it
92Gl63c.png
Gp3NMK0.png

Now her left weapon will disappear and appear in your character's model when the game calls for it

Note: You can check with Noesis which weapon occupies which wepx bone by their mesh names

Edited by Haussenkraft
  • CoLove 8
  • Upvote 12

I have a problem, I have to convert the custom gmo with the extension .fbx but the fbxcon does not convert it.  The file is in the gmotool folder because it does not convert it? 

Sorry for My bad English 

Edited by scopion117

On 7/5/2019 at 8:33 PM, scopion117 said:

I have a problem, I have to convert the custom gmo with the extension .fbx but the fbxcon does not convert it.  The file is in the gmotool folder because it does not convert it? 

Sorry for My bad English 

right click fbxconv and choose edit,

make sure the fbx name in the command line is the same as your model

15 hours ago, scopion117 said:

IMG-20190707-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20190707-WA0003.jpg

Try putting quotation marks around your file name, like 

GMOTOOL "noel2out.fbx" -E

if that still doesnt work, can you send me the .fbx model? My only other conclusion is that your .fbx is in a different version than what it could read

Edited by Haussenkraft